Tzatziki Cucumber Dip
Tzatsiki is a very refreshing Greek yogurt dip, which is ideal to go with toasted flatbreads such as naan and pita bread as well as julienne of fresh vegetables.
This cucumber yogurt dip is most beloved in Indian, Greek and Turkish restaurants usually served with breads as you peruse the menu.
This is easy to make at home:
- 2-3 medium cloves garlic, peeled and chopped coarsely
- 1/4 teaspoon salt or according to taste
- 1 large cucumber, peeled
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh dill, chopped finely
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- In a glass bowl, mash the chopped garlic with the salt.
- Cut the cucumber lengthwise then scoop out the seedy middle bit, throw away the seeds into the recycling bin. Then chopped the rest of the cucumber finely. Wrap the minute pieces of the cucumber in a clean muslin cloth or tea towel and squeeze out most of the juice.
- Stir in the cucumber into the bowl of garlic.
- Add the yogurt, lemon juice, olive oil, dill and pepper; ensure to stir thoroughly.
- Cover the glass bowl with cling film then store in the fridge for at least a couple for all the tastes to come through,
Enjoy with bread, vegetable and grilled meat.