Pork Stewed in Tomato Sauce
This is a delicious family. It is very filling and perfect served with freshly boiled rice or steamed new potatoes or even mashed potatoes.
400g pork shoulder, cut into fairly large pieces about 1½ inches chunks
3 tbsp. Extra virgin Olive oil
8 sprigs thyme, hard stalks trimmed, chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 medium size onion, finely chopped
2-3 bay leaves
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp. saffron
170ml. red wine (cheap plonk) 🙂 decent one for drinking 🙂
1 1/2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
400g fresh chopped tomatoes or 1 can of chopped plum tomatoes
1 medium size green or yellow marrow sliced
150g. flat green beans, topped and tailed and cut into 2 inches lengths
How to make:
- Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 180ºC.
- Using a casserole pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot, add the thyme, garlic, onion and bay leaves. Fry for a minute.
- Add the pork and season with salt, pepper and paprika. Stir until the pork has turned golden brown all over. This may take about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the saffron.
- Pour in the wine, vinegar and chopped tomatoes.
- Stir all the ingredients well, cover with a lid and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Cover the casserole pan and then put it on the middle shelf of the pre-heated oven. Leave for 1 hour.
- Check and adjust the seasoning. Also add the marrow and flat green beans.
- Cook for a further 40 minutes at a lower temperature of 160ºC.