Salt & Pepper Shrimps Recipe
Salt and pepper chicken is a great favourite of our family. We just love the crispness of the chicken and its spiciness.
We also recently discovered the shrimps version and it is even more luscious in taste. There are two ways of cooking the shrimps. If the shrimps or prawns are large, I would recommend perhaps to peel them but if there are small to medium in size, I would cook them in their shell. The shell will add extra crispness in the texture after deep frying.
Here is the recipe.
- 300g medium shrimps or smaller shrimps; head removed, deveined
- 3-4 tbsp cornflour or cornstarch
- 1 tsp fine salt
- 1 tsp sea salt granules
- ¾ tablespoon ground Szechuan peppercorns or black pepper
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- Oil for deep frying
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 bird’s eyes chilli, chopped or a tsp of chilli flakes
- coriander for decorating
- Prepare the shrimp, remove the shells if you prefer. Put the shrimps over some kitchen paper towel to drain thoroughly.
- Spice up the cornstarch with the fine salt, black pepper and garlic powder. Mix thoroughly.
- Drop the shrimps onto the cornstarch. Coat the shrimps with the powdery mix.
- In a wok over low heat, stir fry the salt granules and Sichuan peppercorn. Dry fry for a couple of minutes. Set aside.
- Using a deep-fat fryer, fry the shrimps until they have turned golden. Do this in batches to ensure even cooking. Remove with slotted spoon. Set aside.
- Add a tablespoon of oil to the wok with the salt and peppercorn mix. Stir in the chopped garlic and chilli. Fry for a minute or two. Add the deep fried shrimps and mix them all in.
- Serve over a bed of salad leaves. Enjoy!