Category: Starter/Finger Foods
Pork Dumplings Recipe
This is so delicious. So scrumptious even with the simplest dip. In fact the simpler the dip, the better as the herbs used in the dumplings enhance the flavour.
The recipe is to follow shortly
Peter and I love crispy seaweeds. We always order it as one of our starters when we dine out in Chinese restaurants.
There is something about its crispy texture that is rather pleasing to the tastebuds.
Of course we are well aware that this seaweed is not really seaweed as we know it. It did not come from the sea. 🙂 In fact it is made from finely shredded spring green cabbage.
Peter asked me why is it then called a seaweed?!!! To hazard guest, I think because it does look like a seaweed when it is being prepared and cooked. Its corrugated crispy texture is like seaweed.
Anyway, as I have said, it is quite delicious and here a recipe for it.
Crispy Seaweed Recipe
Method of Preparation:
Authentic Maki Zushi
I will not be telling porkies here but making sushi is somewhat difficult! I am not only talking about the process of rolling these little babies but actually more on the ingredients and the preparation.
The rice! It has to be cooked to perfection and the fish and vegetables should be at their freshest.
Before you say no to sushi making, please stop! 🙂 We should all be reminded that Rome was not built in a day, as the saying goes. We have to persevere; make an effort and acquire new skill for a potentially delicious reap.
To be continued! 🙂
Egg & Tuna Salad
6 eggs, hard boiled
1 small can tuna, flaked
2 stalks celery, sliced finely
4 tablespoon mayonnaise
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Remove the shell off and then carefully cut into the pointed end of the eggs. From this incision, delicately take out the yolks.
- Set aside the outer egg white as these will be used as an outer casing for the stuffing later on.
- Mash the egg yolks in a bowl. Finely chop the egg whites cut off from the pointed end of the boiled eggs and then add these to the mashed yolks.
- Mix in the tuna and celery.
- Add the mayonnaise. Give it a good stir.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Now divided this tuna and egg stuffing and use this to fill in the egg white casings. Keep everything tidy.
- Serve in a bed of shredded lettuce.
Breaded Garlic Mushroom Recipe
For the mushrooms
- 200g button mushrooms, do not wash, wipe off grit and dirt with a kitchen towel.
- 100g plain flour, seasoned with 1/3 tsp salt,1/2 tsp garlic powder, freshly ground black pepper and a little pinch of chilli powder
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 100g breadcrumbs
- vegetable oil for deep frying
Serve the garlic mushroom with the dip and a bit of salad for a delicious starter.
- 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 4 large free range eggs
- 2 toasting muffins
- 1 batch hot hollandaise sauce
- 4 slices Parma ham
- 1/2 oz caviar
- Bring a deep saucepan of water to the boil (at least 2 litres) and add the vinegar. Break the eggs into 4 separate coffee cups or ramekins. Split the muffins, toast them and warm some plates.
- Swirl the vinegared water briskly to form a vortex and slide in an egg. It will curl round and set to a neat round shape. Cook for 2-3 mins, then remove with a slotted spoon.
- Repeat with the other eggs, one at a time, re-swirling the water as you slide in the eggs. Spread some sauce on each muffin, scrunch a slice of ham on top, then top with an egg. Spoon over the remaining hollandaise.
- Garnish with caviar and serve at once.
Spiced Nuts Recipe
Nuts are good for you. They are versatile and lovely to serve at parties. Even lovelier eaten as a snack rather than chocolates and cakes.
Just be aware that you do not have a nut allergy!
Here is an easy recipe for a spicily yummy nuts:
125g whole almonds
125g cashew nuts
125g pecan nuts
125g hazelnuts, pre-toasted and skinned.
1 tbsp sea salt
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
30g unsalted butter
2 1/2 tsp muscovado sugar (soft brown sugar)
2tsp chopped rosemary
Method of Preparation
Preheat the oven to gas mark 6 or 200 degrees centigrade
Place all the nuts into a baking tray and toast for 5-7 minutes or aromatic.
Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the sea salt and cayenne pepper.
Melt he butter along with the sugar in a large sauce pan. Stir to combine.
Add the nuts and rosemary and stir to coat.
Delicious served hot or at room temperature.
Chilli Cheesy Nuggets
These are gooey with aromatic chilli taste. Perfect for parties. Love these little babies when Peter and I ordered them at Burger King the other night.
We had leftovers, which we kept in the fridge and reheated in the oven at 180C for 5 minutes. They came out so lovely.
Anyway, Burger King’s ones are delicious but they can be easily done at home. Below is the recipe.
- 75g grated mature cheddar
- 1/4 cup finely chopped `Jalapeno peppers or green peppers (remove the seeds and white membranes if not partial to too much heat)
- vegetable oil (for deep-frying)
- 1/4 cup cornflour
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1 tsp chopped parsley
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1⁄2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 2 eggs, beaten with a teaspoon of turmeric or chilli powder
- Use a cheese grater to chop the chunk of cheese finely if you can’t find an already grated cheese in your local supermarket. 🙂
- In a mixing bowl, add together the grated cheese, Jalapeno, cornflour, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder and parsley. Add a bit of milk to make the ingredients adhere together. Mix well until a dough is created.
- Then divide the dough into equal bite-size balls.
- Roll each ball first in the plain flour, then dip into the spiced beaten eggs and then roll into the bread crumbs.
- Deep fry until golden all over.
- Let them rest on paper towels to absorb the excess oil.
Enjoy with fried chicken or burger.
Fried Onion Rings
- 1 large onion, cut into 1cm slices, rings separated
- groundnut oil, for deep frying
- 150g self-raising flour
- 180ml sparkling water
- Use a fork to steady your onion. Slice the onion into rings about 1cm wide. Remove the skin and separate the rings.
- Heat the oil to 180C in a heavy-based pan – it should be no more than 1/ 3 full.
- Meanwhile put the flour and sparkling water in a bowl and season generously. Whisk together to form a batter.
- Coat a small batch of onion rings in batter. Carefully lower into the hot oil and deep-fry until crisp and golden, about 2 – 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a piece of kitchen towel to drain. Repeat with the remaining onion and batter.