Sautéed Marrow & Minced Beef (Ginisang Patola & Giniling na Baka)
The trinity for sauteeing in the Philippines is the combination of garlic, onion and tomatoes. With these three ingredients many a food are cooked to perfection and one of these recipes, also a great favourite is marrow with minced beef.
Having said that, in this recipe minced beef can be substituted with minced pork, minced lamb, minced chicken or oven minced turkey. But I prefer beef or pork 🙂
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced finely
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 onion, peeled & chopped
- 500 g minced beef
- I large marrow or two large courgettes, peeled, inner sack of seeds removed, then sliced as per photo above
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp fish sauce or 1 tsp salt
- Using a wok or a large frying pan, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and onion and stir fry for a minute.
- Then add the tomato and sauté for a further 3 minutes until tomato had softened.
- Stir in the minced beef and cook until it has browned.
- Mix in the in the marrow slices, then add the water.
- Add the fish sauce.
- Turn down the heat slightly and leave to simmer for five minutes.
- Check the seasoning. Add more fish sauce or salt if required.
Delicious with freshly boiled rice.