• 2.5kg potatoes, such as Maris Piper
• sea salt and freshly ground
• 1½ tsp ground turmeric
• pinch of chilli flakes, to taste
• 4–5 tbsp olive oil (or goose or
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/Gas 6. Peel the potatoes, quarter lengthways
and place in a large saucepan of salted cold water. Bring to the boil, then
lower the heat and simmer for about 8 minutes.
2. Drain the potatoes in a colander and sprinkle with the turmeric, chilli flakes
and some salt and pepper. Toss in the colander to coat evenly, then drizzle
with a little of the olive oil and toss again. Leave to steam for 5 minutes.
3. Put the rest of the olive oil in a roasting tray and place in the oven for a
few minutes to heat up. Carefully add the potatoes and toss to coat in the oil.
Roast for 40–45 minutes, turning a few times, until crisp and golden. Drain
on kitchen paper and transfer to a warmed dish to serve.