Chicken & Mushroom Pie
2 tbsp olive oil
8 chicken boneless chicken thighs
8 rashers streaky bacon, cut into large pieces
250g button mushrooms, quartered
1 small onion, chopped
2 garlic clove, finely chopped
2 tbsp plain flour, plus extra for dusting
400ml chicken stock
freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
freshly ground white pepper
small handful fresh parsley, chopped
500g ready-made short-crust pastry (they are so useful)
1 free-range egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees centigrade or Gas mark 7.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper then add the chicken to the pan and fry until the chicken begins to turn golden in all sides.
- Take out the chicken from the pan onto a plate. Add the bacon into the pan and cook until brown.
- Add the mushrooms and continue to fry until golden.
- Add the onion and garlic and fry for another 2-3 minutes or until softened. Remove from the heat and set aside with the chicken and mushrooms.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, stir in the flour and cook for about three minutes, stirring constantly until it has formed a thick smooth paste.
- Mix the milk and stock together in a jug, then add the nutmeg, white pepper and salt, to taste. Pour the liquid slowly into the flour mixture, whisking all the time until smooth. Simmer over a gentle heat, stirring constantly, for about five minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
- Stir in the chopped parsley and pour the sauce over the chicken and mushroom mixture. Mix well, then spoon into a pie dish and leave until completely cool.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface until it is the thickness of a pound coin. Brush the edges of the pie dish with beaten egg, lay the pastry on top, press down the edges and trim. Brush the top of the pie with beaten egg and cut some leaf shapes out of the left-over pastry to decorate the top of the pie.
- Make two or three slits in the top of the pie to allow steam to escape and then bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden-brown on top.