I love paella. I love it as it is bursting with different flavours; a truly smorgasbord of taste and texture.
A perfect treat as a filling one-dish meal.
Chicken and Prawn Paella
6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
2 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
4 celery sticks, chopped
1 large green peppers, deseeded and cut into chunks
1 red pepper, deseeded and cut into chunks.
1/2 cup frozen peas
5 large ripe vine tomatoes, chopped
6 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
1 tbsp paprika
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried oregano
2 bay leaves
200g long-grain rice
450ml chicken stock (can use oxo cubes)
100g cooked peeled king prawns, thawed if frozen
6 spring onions, sliced
sea salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper
1. Cut the chicken thighs into bite-sized pieces, season them with salt and pepper.
2. Cut the chorizo into slices.
3. Heat the oil using a large non-stick frying pan or a wok.
4. Fry the chicken over a medium heat until lightly golden.
5. Add the chorizo and cook until the sweetly spicy juice runs out and mix with the chicken.
6. Remove from heat and transfer to a bowl and set aside.
7. Return the pan over a medium heat.
8. Stir in the onion, celery, peas and green & red peppers and cook for 8-10 minutes until well softened, stirring occasionally.
9. Add the tomatoes and stir- fry with the veggies.
10. Stir the crushed garlic, paprika, cayenne, thyme, oregano and bay leaves into the frying pan and cook for a couple of minutes, stirring constantly.
11. Return the chicken and chorizo to the pan, add the rice and cook for about a minute, stirring.
12. Pour over the stock, season with a pinch of salt and lots of black pepper.
13. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and let it simmer and cook for about 10 minutes or until the rice is just tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed by the rice.
14. Ensure to stir occasionally so as not to let the rice stick and then burn in the bottom of the pan. Just add a bit more of stock if rice is still not cooked to your taste.
15. Finally, Stir in the prawns and spring onions and cook for another 2 minutes.
Serve to your hungry army!