The Bicol region of the Philippines, aside from its very beautiful location, especialised in spicy, hot food cooked in lashing of coconut milk.
Their cuisine is so delicious that the whole Philippines have adapted their recipes. It is not unheard of to dine in Manila on food a la Bicol style.
Below is a true Bicol recipe.
1 cup fresh mussels, trimmed and cleaned thoroughly
1 crab, twist off the legs and claw
1 squid, cut into thick rings
1/2 cup button mushrooms, quartered
4 Serrano pepper, deseeded and chopped or julienned. (For extra heat leave a few of the seeds)
2 cups green beans
1 can (400ml) coconut milk
1 onion, cut
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
salt and pepper
- Heat oil in a wok or pan and sauté the garlic until until golden and fragrant, please do not burn as it will add a bitter taste to the recipe.
- Add the sliced onion and cook until translucent.
- Add the crab, legs and claws. Add the squid, mussels and mushroom.
- Add the Serrano peppers
- Simmer for a couple of minutes, then pour in the coconut milk.
- Bring it to a boil, then simmer for six minutes or so
- Add the green beans.
- Season with salt and freshly ground pepper
- Simmer until sauce gets a little dry and thicker.
Enjoy with freshly boiled rice.
Yummy … sarap