mussels, photo by Ruben Ortega
Mussels with Malunggay and Potato Viand
This recipe is perfect for all kinds of weather but more so during the colder times. It is healthy as well. It is rich in minerals and vitamins.
Malunggay is fast becoming a superfood which contains a lot of nutrients good for the repair and maintenance of body tissues.
- 1-2 lbs. mussels, cleaned of all grits and scum
- 2 inches ginger, peeled and sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 6-8 pieces each.
- 1 large bunch of malunggay leaves, hard stalks trimmed off and discarded
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 6 cups water
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
Method of Preparation:
- In a large casserole pan, bring the water to a boil.
- Drop in the onions and ginger. Cover the casserole pan and leave to simmer for 8 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the mussels and gently simmer for 5 minutes
- Sprinkle salt and ground black pepper.
- Add the malunggay leaves and cook for 5 minutes without covering the casserole.
- Quickly check the seasoning. Add a little bit more salt and black pepper if needed.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and enjoy with freshly boiled rice and some side dishes.
Super, super yummy.