Saewoo Twigim, photo by JMorton
Saewoo Twigim (Korean Deep Fried King Prawns)
I could eat and eat fried king prawns all day. They are so delicious especially served with some spicy sauces.
- 1/2 shrimp, peeled (but leave the tail intact) and deveined
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups Korean deep-frying mix powder (this is available in Asian/Oriental/Korean food store near you) 🙂
- Oil for deep-frying
Method of Preparation:
- Using a deep fryer or a pan with high sides like a large wok or casserole, heat enough oil for deep-frying.
- Ensure that the oil is hot at 375 degrees, essential for quick crisping of the battered shrimps. (It is useful to invest in an oil thermometer for kitchen use, some are not very expensive)
- Spread the two cups of Korean deep-frying mix powder on a plate.
- Dip each peeled shrimp into the beaten eggs and then cover and coat with the mixed powder.
- Give each a gentle quick shake and then carefully lower down over the hot oil.
- Fry in batches; do not overcrowd the pan to maintain the hot temperature of the oil.
- Remove from oil when prawns are golden brown all over.
- Paper towels should be at the ready to drain off excess oil.
Serve with some salad and favourite dip.