Braised Pork Recipe
I love, love, love this recipe. I am pretty sure it is fattening and not good for my high blood pressure but I just love it. Anyway, I don’t really it every single day😜 as much I would like to. 😜 . Only on special occasions.
But there are those days that you can’t wait for a special occasion. It just pops in your brain and can almost taste it that you actually want to eat it. Well, we have got the recipe for you.
By the way, the above photo is called Chairman Mao’s Braised Pork.
Chairman Mao Braised Pork
- 1½ lbs pork belly
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp soy sauce (dark)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce (light)
- (or 2 tbsp dark soy sauce)😜
- 1½ tbsp Shaoxing Rice wine
- 2 pieces Star anise
- pinch salt
- 1½ tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp rock sugar
- 1½ tablespoons oil
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled, bruised
- ¼ inch ginger, peeled and sliced
- 1 stalk spring onion, left whole
- 1 stalk spring onion, chopped for decoration
- Slice the pork belly into inch pieces.
- Add them to a casserole or pan of boiling water. Allow to boil for 5-7 minutes. Drain and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large frying pan, better yet in a wok over fairly low heat.
- Stir in the sugar and cook until it had turned brown, not burnt.
- Add the pork and coat it with the sugar. Cook for 5 minutes over medium heat, turning them constantly.
- Pour in the wine.
- Add the light and dark soy sauce (or just use 2 tablespoons of dark soy sauce). Let the pork soak in the soy sauce for a minute.
- Add the water.
- Drop in the star anise.
- Sprinkle in the salt. Turn up the heat on high. Cover the wok or casserole and bring to a boil.
- Turn down the heat, add the ginger, garlic and the spring onion.
- Cover once again and simmer for 45-50 minutes on low heat.
- Check and stir once in a while to ensure that the water has not completely evaporated, leaving a burnt offering.
- Then sprinkle the rock sugar. The rock sugar will give the pork its shiny, succulent look.
- Turn up the heat on high. Allow to cook for another 7-10 minutes. Stir it continuously and cover the pork pieces with the sauces.
- Now it is ready. Transfer into a serving bowl and garnish with the chopped spring onion.
- Delicious with freshly cooked boiled rice.