Mung Bean Recipe
Ginisang Munggo with Talong (Mung Beans Stew with Aubergine)
This is a delicious recipe which is easy to make. Very filling and will delight the whole family especially during winter time.
Below is the recipe.
- 1 cup mung beans (can be left to stand in lots of water to make the beans swell and would cut minutes of cooking time)
- 1 medium size aubergine (eggplant), sliced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3-5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-inch ginger, peeled and julienned
- 100 g pork belly, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 cube vegetable bouillon
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Method of Preparation:
- In a medium size pan, cover the mung beans with enough water and bring to a boil. Lower down the heat and allow to simmer for 10 minutes. Carefully discard the water and some of the green bean husks that gather to the top.
- Using a casserole pan, fry the garlic and onion until golden brown.
- Stir in the pork slices and cook until brown all over.
- Add the ginger, stir.
- Add 4 cups of water, crush the vegetable bouillon over it.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the mung beans, cover the pan and leave to simmer for 15 minutes more.
- Pour in the fish sauce, give it a stir.
- Add the aubergine and cover the casserole once again and allow to cook for five minutes.
- Check the seasoning, add salt according to taste. Give it a good measure of black pepper.
- Enjoy with freshly boiled rice.
Yum, ang sarap