I saw a bit of GMA’s Mars on youtube and like the recipe of the Japanese version of a fried chicken. Thanks to Benjamin Alves, the guest celebrity cook, for making it looks so easy to make and yet so yummy. All the women in the show were all saying how good it was.
Chicken Karaage (Japanese Chicken popcorn Recipe)
- 6-8 pieces of boneless, with skin on chicken thighs; each thigh, depending on the size, should be cut into two or three pieces.
- 1 tablespoon ginger, freshly grated
- 2-3 cloves garlic, grated
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sake
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2 – 1 cup cornstarch/cornflour
- vegetable oil for frying
- slices of lemon to garnish
Method of preparation:
- In a large bowl, season the chicken thighs with the salt and pepper. Set this aside.
- Make the marinade using a different container. Mix thoroughly the ginger, garlic and brown sugar with the soy sauce and sake.
- Pour this mixture onto the chicken thighs. Mix well to soak all the crevices of the chicken thighs.
- Cover the bowl with cling film and leave to marinate in the fridge for at least an hour.
- After an hour or so, heat the oil in large frying pan or wok for deep frying.
- Before frying, each of the chicken pieces, roll each one into the cornflour and then let it sizzle in the hot oil until done.
- Serve with your favourite sauce.