Pork Leg Asado, Photo by Ruben Ortega
Pork Leg Asado With Pineapple
This recipe is as good tasting as the photo shows. The secret to this is marinating the meat in order for the sauce to get into all the crevices of the meat sinews.
- 2 lbs pork leg, chopped to the bone into manageable pieces
- 1½ cup water
- 1/2 tsp whole blackpeppers
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 tbsp oil
- 1 inch cube butter
- 1 large white onion, peeled chopped finely
- 1 lemon or 1½ tbsp of fresh calamansi juice
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 small can of pineapple
Method of Preparation:
- Using a large bowl, mix together the soy sauce, blackpeppers and lemon juice (or calamansi juice)
- Stir in the sliced pork leg and leave to marinate for an hour (or overnight in the fridge).
- Drain the meat but keep the marinade.
- Heat a large lidded frying pan or a casserole pan.
- Add the oil and then the butter.
- Fry the meat and cook until golden brown on both sides.
- Pour in the marinade and also the water.
- Drop in the bay leaves.
- Cover the pan and leave the meat to simmer until the meat is tender.
- Add the can of pineapple, including the juice, and cook for another 7 minutes.
- Serve immediately with a freshly boiled rice or green salad.