Turkish Lamb Casserole,photo by PH Morton
Turkish Lamb Casserole
This dish is delicious and heart-warming. Perfect for a family dinner get together.
This is best served with rice and a bit of salad.
It is rather Mediterranean in look and taste.
It would be preferable to marinate the lamb in olive oil, salt and freshly ground black pepper overnight for maximum taste. However if this was forgotten, it is not the end of the world 🙂 even an hour or two is adequate.
- 2 lbs boneless lamb, fat trimmed out, then cut into small chunks
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 green bell pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 1 courgette, peeled and sliced
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 can chopped plum tomatoes
- 200 g baby button mushrooms, quartered
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 heaped teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- Preheat the oven at 180º centigrade.
- Heat a large oven-proof casserole pan over medium heat.
- Pour in 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil into the pan.
- Add lamb and cook until golden brown and all the juices have almost evaporated.
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes, cook for a couple of minutes until softened.
- Pour in the wine, let it simmer for a minutes.
- Pour in the can of chopped plum tomatoes.
- Mix in the turmeric powder, leave to simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Add the bell pepper, courgettes and mushrooms and dried oregano.
- Season with salt and pepper accordingly.
- Put in the middle shelf of the preheated oven for 45 minutes.
- Serve with rice and salad.