Lamb Shanks Stew In Red Wine Recipe
It is the month of LOVE, and this recipe is something to spoil your other half.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 lamb shanks
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 2 potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- few sprigs fresh rosemary
- 3 fresh bay leaf
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 250ml red wine
- 350ml lamb or chicken stock (or 4 bouillon cubes dissolved in 350ml hot water) 🙂
- Salt & pepper
Method of preparation:
- `Preheat the the oven to 180°C.
- Using a large casserole pan, heat the oil and start browning the lamb shanks all over, this may take 10-12 minutes.
- Take out the lamb and set aside. Using the same casserole pan, add the onion, potatoes and carrots and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the herbs and garlic and cook for a few more minutes.
- Stir in the flour and tomato purée, season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper then pour over the wine and stock.
- Return the lamb shanks to the pan and also add the green bell pepper. Bring to a simmer, cover the casserole pan with a lid.
- Put the casserole into the preheated oven and cook for 2 hours or until the lamb is tender.
Serve with steamed vegetables or as I prefer, with saffron rice or freshly boiled rice.